The Senior Manager of Core Network Operations leads 2 distinct, highly technical teams responsible for operation of the Core Data Wide Area Network (WAN), SS7 Signaling & Call Control equipment. The Senior Core Network Operations manager sets vision and direction for teams, provides strategic insight and guidance in to the direction that the network is heading, leads his team through goals and objectives that align with company strategic initiatives, and plans and maintains associated budgets.
The Core Network Operations WAN team is responsible for the day to day operations of our combined customer facing and enterprise WAN. This includes the MPLS backbone, Carrier Hotel connectivity, as well as connectivity to all mobile switching & data centers, retail, business office, and kiosk locations. The CNO WAN team maintains operational responsibility for LAN infrastructure in Mobile Switching Center, Carrier Hotel, & Data Center environments. The team also provides support for external connections (Internet, extranet links, etc.).
Core Network Operations SS7 signaling and call control is responsible for the day to day operations of centrally managed telephony components as well as preparation, implementation and operations of Next Generation Network (NGN) technologies. Centralized traditional telephony components include all STP’s, DAC’s at STP locations, all ITP’s, Service Control Point (SCP)/Prepay systems, IVR, Diameter gateway, and tools responsible for monitoring and planning this network. Preparation for Next Generation Networks includes building familiarity with IMS core, SIP, VoLTE, IP telephony, and related technologies
• Ensure 24x7x365 uptime and availability of three distinct areas of the National Network that are essential to ongoing operations of the business.
• The Core Network Operations WAN is responsible for transport of all customer facing data traffic (1x/3G/4G LTE) as well associate Internet connectivity at all company locations.
• The Core Network Operations SS7 signaling and call control network is essential for the processing of all post pay customer voice calls, call control of prepaid (TOPS component), as well as 1x and EVDO Data Calls.
• Manage effective issue identification and resolution process; Maintain 24x7 on call response teams to provide network incident response and manage restoral within agreed upon SLA”s
• Lead interface for the Engineering organization for escalation of issues within our vendor community. Escalations include interfacing with all levels of management with the vendor community including executive levels.
• Lead cross-organizational Tiger Teams that analyze network statistics and trends in an effort to resolve the most complex customer and network issues.
• Demonstrate strong leadership, coaching, and guidance on a continuous basis to team members in the areas of leadership, communication, stakeholder management, project lifecycle, operating procedures, processes and practices
• Develop vision and set organizational direction for the Core Data Network (WAN) and SS7 Signaling & Call control Teams
• Analyze operational results, financial performance and customer satisfaction results in order to ensure alignment with corporate objectives. Will make adjustments to network strategy as necessary.
• Ensure the development of a full suite of documentation as it relates to the customer-servicing network infrastructure (Standards, policies and procedures, etc.)
• Identification of and remediation of security vulnerabilities within associated equipment
• Develop and manage Capital and Operation Expenses budgets for the WAN, SS7 Signaling & Call Control Teams that align with business objectives.
• Lead negotiations of support contracts with vendor partners to reduce operational costs while ensuring operational coverage and support.
• Guide teams to analyze network & system response and determines performance tuning recommendations to improve network and customer performance.
• Responsible for the creation of weekly executive reports to report key activities within the networks and teams
• Responsible for monthly executive reports to reflect operational KPI’s
• Develop and foster support for best practices, processes, and procedures. Encourage alignment with sister organizations
• Develop teaching opportunities for leaders and associates around technical and wireless industry topics.
• Breakdown of complex issues or objectives into manageable tasks
• Lead discussions on process improvements initiatives across cross-functional teams
• Leads the team through goals and objectives that align with strategic company initiatives
• Promote the growth and development of inter/intradepartmental relationships
• Demonstrate strong leadership, coaching, and guidance on a continuous basis to team members in the areas of leadership, communication, stakeholder management, project lifecycle, operating procedures, processes and practices.
• Develop vision and set direction for the Core Network Operations teams.
• Hire, Develop, and Lead highly skilled engineers that work with minimal supervision and use complex problem solving skills to make crucial decisions that have direct impact on Network and Customer Service.
• Evaluate and conduct staff performance reviews providing schedule one on one feedback with associates.
• Facilitate short term and long term career development, planning, and mentoring of all associates.
• Embrace and foster leadership values around customer focus, respect for associates, Ethics, Pride, Empowerment, and Diversity .
• Ability to build relationships and collaborate across remote cross-functional teams.
• Strong verbal, written skills, and presentation skills required
• Ability to coach and teach business and technical knowledge of the wireless, ISP, IP Telephony and telecom signaling industry.
• Capable to breakdown complex issues into manageable task working with project management.
THE PRECEDING JOB DESCRIPTION INDICATES THE GENERAL NATURE, ESSENTIAL DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF WORK TO BE PERFORMED. IT DOES NOT CONTAIN A COMPREHENSIVE INVENTORY OF ALL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED TO DO THIS JOB. TO PERFORM THIS JOB SUCCESSFULLY AN INDIVIDUAL MUST BE ABLE TO PERFORM EACH ESSENTIAL DUTY SATISFACTORILY. THE REQUIREMENTS LISTED ABOVE ARE REPRESENTATIVE OF THE KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND/OR ABILITY REQUIRED. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS MAY BE MADE TO ENABLE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS.
U.S. Cellular® is an EEO employer and gives consideration to qualified applicants without regard to race/color/age/religion/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/national origin/disability/veteran status, pregnancy or genetic information.
If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here:
"EEO is the Law" Poster | "EEO is the Law" Poster Supplement | Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action Policy Statement | Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision | Dept of Labor FMLA poster | Employee PolyGraph Protection Act Poster
If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance with any part of the application or interview process, please contact us at: Accommodation.email@example.com