Members of the Advanced Technology and Strategy (ATS) team are responsible for defining end to end architectures for new technologies and also for evaluating the impact to existing end to end architectures when new services are launched. In this role ATS members define technical use cases, requirements, and end to end architectures that provide solutions to the business requirements. ATS members are also expected to defined test plans to verify that the solution indeed satisfies the business requirements. Key properties of a solution that are expected to be verified are: performance, scalability, reliability, testability, availability, manageability, security, extensibility, interoperability. An expected side effect of this role is the possible creation of additions or modification of industry standards (e.g. 3GPP) as well as creation of intellectual property (e.g. patents). An expectation for all ATS positions is that candidates quickly become very proficient both in breadth and depth of understanding new technologies.
The type of skills and background required for these positions are similar to the skills required in a telecom vendor/product company where H/W or S/W engineers have to create new products when no comparable product exists in the market. These positions require individual contributors with strong telecom product S/W development background capable of quickly mastering brand new technologies to high level of technical breadth and depth.
As a result the Member of Technical Staff (MTS) position within the ATS team matches a senior S/W telecom engineer within a product company.
• Application/Software Development
• Project Management
• Planning and Analysis
• Mentoring & Guidance
Roles & Responsibilities:
• Responsible for completing projects (define technical use cases, requirements, and end to end architectures and test plans) of small scale (limited number of network elements and interactions among elements, e.g. Web Proxy/Content Optimization solution) in time and on budget with high quality.
• Must be able to work simultaneously on at least 2 small scale projects
• Provides technology solutions to the business requirements that are easy to implement and maintain
• Must be able to justify and defend technical decisions with support of appropriate qualitative and quantitative (measurable) analysis
• Be a team player by being cooperative and open to other team participants’ input, especially from senior members of the team.
• Seeks out education and learning opportunities in order to become knowledgeable in new technology areas with appropriate levels of depth and breadth in a timely manner (as required by the business needs).
• Expected to operate independently within the ATS team and across functional teams.
THE PRECEDING JOB DESCRIPTION INDICATES THE GENERAL NATURE AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF WORK PERFORMED. IT DOES NOT CONTAIN A COMPREHENSIVE INVENTORY OF ALL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED TO DO THIS JOB.
• Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or Engineering
• Eight years of telecom experience
• Four years of experience in the wireless/cellular industry
• Four years of telecom software development experience
• Two years leading a technical project
• Four years developing technical functional specifications which cover use cases, requirements, solutions/architectures and test plans
*Telecom industry knowledge in areas such as LTE and VoLTE is strongly preferred.
*Experience with forward looking technology (e.g. 5G) is preferred.
U.S. Cellular® is an EEO employer and gives consideration to qualified applicants without regard to race/color/age/religion/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/national origin/disability/veteran status, pregnancy or genetic information.
If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here:
"EEO is the Law" Poster | "EEO is the Law" Poster Supplement | Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action Policy Statement | Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision | Dept of Labor FMLA poster | Employee PolyGraph Protection Act Poster
If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance with any part of the application or interview process, please contact us at: Accommodation.email@example.com