Network Field Engineer - Down East, Maine
10/28/2017 2:29:25 AM
ELLSWORTH, ME US
Maintain wireless base station equipment for optimum system performance. Respond to on-demand call-outs in a timely fashion to restore equipment to service within prescribed timeframes and ensure maximum system availability. Perform duties in support of network expansion to ensure new and upgraded equipment is operating to meet performance criteria within prescribed timeframes. Maintain cell site equipment for optimum system performance.
The Network Field Engineer job scope is broadened to be more team focused (leading team projects, mentoring others and being a Subject matter Expert (SME) in various job related areas). Able to manage time effectively with little or no supervision. Ability to lead technical projects involving larger team. Ability to provide instruction and training (mentor) others on cell site equipment, maintenance procedures and processes.
- Responsible for assuring the health and care of the remote base station equipment. Remote equipment includes but not limited to the following; BTS equipment, power bays, batteries, generators, microwave radios, antennas, and associated network equipment.
- Perform regularly scheduled preventive maintenance including night work and 24 hour emergency call out. Monitor cell site, network and system performance statistics daily.
- Complete required administrative duties in a timely and accurate manner.
- Maintain company resources such as site inventory, tools, vehicle, test equipment and spares to insure proper operation and availability.
- Receive, investigate, resolve and track customer trouble tickets as required.
- Ability to understand, operate, calibrate, and interpret the test results for the various test equipment such as: T1 tester, Power meter, Air Interface System Analyzer, RF line analyzer, Conductivity meter, Earth Ground Resistivity meter, etc...
- Understand the Dynamic Organization and embrace the values and behaviors in everyday job. Be an active participant in supporting and moving the culture forward.
- Recognize areas for procedural and process improvement and be able to recommend/develop necessary changes to implement on a region/company wide basis and possess the ability to write and comprehend technical documents/papers supporting the maintenance of the network.
- Mentor and assist teammates by providing advanced technical knowledge and experience to resolve challenging troubles and strengthen the team.
- Provide mentoring (training and guidance) for other developing associates.
- Drive specifically assigned projects to meet team initiatives and expectations.
- Act and make decisions independently or autonomously.
- Provide field support for new cell construction in the following areas: on site supervision, equipment delivery coordination, path alignment coordination, equipment installation, cell integration, and cell optimization.
- Use alternate means of transportation to access cell sites when appropriate (walk, ATV's, snowmobiles, helicopters, etc... - only applies in specific circumstances).
- Travel required as needed.
- Establish and maintain DOT certification.
The preceding job description indicates the general nature, essential duties, and responsibilities of work to be performed. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required to do this job. To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Associate Degree in Electronics/Computer Science or equivalent work/military experience is preferred or;
- 3-5 years experience in related industry.
- High level of expertise or experience in a broad telecom environment expected
- Related experience in computer operations, switching, and radio or data communications preferred.
- Demonstrated ability of solid oral & written communications skills.
- Valid driver's license and good driving record required.
- Can lift 50lbs unassisted
U.S. Cellular® is an EEO employer and gives consideration to qualified applicants without regard to race/color/age/religion/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/national origin/disability/veteran status, pregnancy or genetic information.